Monday, March 26, 2012

Photo Essay: The Straight Razor Shave

Photo Essay: The Straight Razor Shave:

Here on AoM we’ve talked a lot about the glory of getting a straight razor shave at a barber shop. It’s the man equivalent of getting a facial at a spa. It’s a super relaxing ritual that involves a lot of hot towels and plenty of manly smelling shaving cream and face lotions to soften up the old beard. Plus, there’s nothing like letting another man hold a razor sharp piece of metal to your neck to remind you that you’re alive.
If you haven’t ever had a straight razor shave from the barber, you’re missing out. To help inspire those of you who have been sitting on the fence about taking part in this manly tradition, I wanted to show you exactly what the straight razor shave experience is like at the barber shop.
I brought my photographer friend (and soon to be professional brewer), Matt Anthony along with me to my go-to barber shop here in Tulsa, Clay’s Barber Shop. The proprietor and tonsorial artist is Mark Clay. Below is Matt’s collection of photos capturing the magic of a straight razor shave from a barber. Enjoy.




Before the Shave





Mark's antique gas powered towel warmer.





Mark told me, "I can go right to the straight razor on that long beard of yours, and it will be an uncomfortable shave, or I can trim it down a bit with the clippers for a much more comfortable one. Which do you want?" I went the comfortable route.




Lathering up.




Another hot towel for good measure. Clay pressed about 10 of them on my face during the shave.

Drying off my ugly mug. I'm feel super groovy right now.


Feeling like a million bucks. If you live in Tulsa, or are ever in the area, make sure to stop by Clay’s Barbershop for a shave and haircut. Tell Mark the Art of Manliness sent you.





Related Photos






    No comments: